By common definition Freewill is “the apparent human ability to make choices that are not externally determined.” My question is however, is there any action of us that is not externally determined? Is there a will as such called ‘free’? In one way or the other aren’t we the product of our environment, culture, tradition and beliefs. We are tied up and determined either physically, socially or psychologically. Our mind is caught up with the Do and Do not rules of our society. Our will is no freer; our freedom is free-doomed.
Though, paradoxically enough, we feel we have freewill; we feel we live by our own favorite choices. For that matter, I could say nothing I chose in my life is really my freewill indisputably; I was guided whether by the society’s acceptance to my choice, or my tradition, my religion or any other external body. That’s why I resented freewill for it’s nothing but a utopian promise.
RESENTING FREEWILL
Aren't we born free?
As free as the air,
Naked, our body
Empty, our mind
Pure, our soul
Blessed with freewill?
Yet,
The grower we are,
The fearful we become
Caught up with the DOs
Dealing with the DO NOTs
Tied up with the rules
Frozen in custom
Are we ever free?
Free from thoughts,
Free from trouble,
Free from rumor,
Free to aspire?
…
Know man, not free
No man, no free
And yet,
We all say we’re free
We feel our will-free.
BINI – May 19, 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment