“Every day is the first day of the rest of my life”
I read the above quote and recalled what my friend and mentor once said about Time. He said, “I only have three days in my time definition; they are Yesterday, Tomorrow and Today” and explained their meanings accordingly:Yesterday -“I call whatever has passed as ‘yesterday’, even 5 minutes ago is yesterday; because it has passed… gone. I have no control; it’s nothing but a flashback, unalterable memory.”Tomorrow - “tomorrow is the future, the unlived, indeterminate, which we are not certain about.Today – “today is the now, the only moment I am certain about, the moment of life, the only time I have;the instant I guarantee, the time I can act up on!”…Until I read the above quote and recall my friend’s definition of time, it has never clearly occurred to my mind that we actually have one day in our life. And, that one actual day we have control on is today; because, ‘yesterday’ is nothing but a flashback, a memory that we cannot alter any of the events.And ‘Tomorrow’ is the undetermined, uncertain time.Consequently, the only day we have is ‘today’. So I supposed, we are given new chances to start over our lives only on todays; and, I said to myself whenever I wake up on a new day, realizing that it is the only day I got, I have to be grateful; I have to feel as if each waking days are my birthdays. The day I get reborn, the day I am given a new chance to learn from yesterday’s experience and act upon ‘today’ so that I may ensure a better ‘tomorrow’(perhaps, if I am given another wakening chance). … Here goes the thought in poem:
TO BE BORN EVERYDAY
Am I old in time?
Or …I old in essence
Aren’t I born just now?
As old as present
What is but yesteryear?
Time that just went by
What is but yesterday?
The day that just gone by
As shadow as image,
Bygone, in memory
That I cannot remake
Amend the aftermath
So, I say…
“Today is my birthday!”
My first day of life!
My shot to blossom
My chance to flourish,
My day to feel alive!
BINI – May 29/2011
No comments:
Post a Comment